AMI Montessori Elementary Diploma Course (6-12 age level)The AMI Montessori Elementary Diploma Course (age level 6-12) is an intensive full time programme designed to help students study closely the theory and practice of the Montessori approach to education. The course of study spread over 16 months will help prepare students for working with children from 6 to 12 years of age.
- Course Components
- Theory Lectures
The theory lectures will offer the students the opportunity to examine Montessori's theory of child development in the elementary years, and to study in depth, Montessori's vision of cosmic education, an interdisciplinary approach to the study of human beings, their endeavours and relationship with the universe.
The practical demonstration lectures deal with the lessons and presentation of the materials offered to children from 6 to 12 years of age in a Montessori environment. The aims of the materials, the technique of presenting them to the child and the age at which they must be offered will be discussed in these sessions.
During scheduled hours students will have an opportunity to practice with the material presented to them. Students will be guided in the use of the material and encouraged to develop and practice the techniques by which they will present the various materials to children.
Care of the Environment
Students will also be asked to take responsibility for the environment everyday just as they would when they are with children. This is an essential aspect of the training that develops the students' eye for the care and maintenance of the material and helps them to develop a familiarity with the set up of an elementary class.
School Observation and Teaching Practice
Students will be assigned to go to various Montessori environments in the city for observation and teaching practice. During this time they will be shown how to keep a record of observations and as well as have an opportunity to work directly with children under the supervision of an AMI trained adult. Students will need to budget for their commute to the various city schools.
Assignments and Albums
Students will need to submit written work at regular intervals during the course, which will include theory essays, material making assignments and observation reports. Students will also prepare six albums in the different areas - History, Language, Arithmetic, Geometry, Geography, Biology. Students will need to do four to six hours of organised work at home every day in order to complete all assignments.
Email and Internet Access
Students will need access to Email and internet as information will be sent to them regularly by email. Some assignments will need to be submitted electronically.
- Candidates fulfilling the following requirements will be considered eligible for admission into the course. The candidate should have:
- Completed 20 years
- A Bachelors degree
- A sound knowledge of English
- AMI Montessori Primary Diploma (3-6 Age Level) OR AMI Foundation Course
- Excellent computer skills and internet access
We welcome candidates from all walks of life and different professions. Occasionally we do consider applicants who do not have a Bachelors degree based on their life experience.
- AMI Foundation Course
- Applicants for the 6-12 course are required to have the AMI Montessori Primary Diploma (3-6 Age Level). For those applicants who do not have it there is a MANDATORY five weeks Foundation Course. All the assignments set for the Foundation course must be completed and handed in as per requirements by the submission date. If the assignments are not up to the expected standard the candidate will not be permitted to go on to doing the Elementary course. Students withdrawing due to incomplete work in the Foundation course are not eligible for a refund of fees.It is our strong recommendation that all students take the Foundation Course which will commence on Wednesday, August 14, 2019.
- Admission Procedure
- Admissions are on a first come first served basis. Admissions for FOREIGN NATIONALS will close on Friday, June 28, 2019. Indian Nationals who apply on or after Friday, June 28, 2019 will be required to pay a revised and higher fee.Applications must be submitted with all enclosures. The Admissions Review Committee will process all complete applications. The decision of the committee will be final and binding.
- To be considered for admissions please submit the following:
- Application Form duly filled in and signed by the applicant with one photo affixed
- Two additional photos identical to the one affixed on the application form
- Attested OR Certified Copies of all educational documents
- Letters of reference from current or previous employers
- Application Fee
- HANDWRITTEN essay (about 500 words) on An Overview of My Life
Application Fee 1289.00 65.00 With application
- Based on the application, there will be an interview with a member of faculty. For foreign nationals who are not able to attend an interview in Chennai we can arrange a time when the applicant can call us for a telephone interview. Students may be required to take an English check.
- Admission Confirmation
- Selected candidates will receive a letter of acceptance with a last date for the payment of fees. Once the fees are paid the candidate will receive a letter of confirmation along with the schedule for the first day.
- Students must have 90% attendance for each aspect of the course including time taken off due to illness. Attendance records will be meticulously maintained throughout the year. In case of absence, students should notify the Director of Training in writing, at least one day in advance. In case of illness the student should inform the training centre by phone or email immediately.
- Course Schedule and Timing
- The course is full time and will run 5 days a week from 8:45 AM to 3:15 PM Monday to Friday. Students will be asked to be extremely punctual. The Foundation course will commence on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 and end on Thursday, October 3, 2019. The Elementary course will commence on Wednesday, October 9, 2019 and end on Friday, March 5, 2021.
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Thursday, October 03, 2019
Wednesday, October 9, 2019
Friday, November 22, 2019
School Observation Week 1
Monday, November 25, 2019
Friday, November 29, 2019
School Observation Week 2
Monday, December 02, 2019
Friday December 06, 2019
School Observation Week 3
Monday, December 09, 2019
Friday December 13, 2019
Monday, January 20, 2020
Friday, March 06, 2020
Teaching Practice Week 1
Monday, August 24, 2020
Friday, August 28, 2020
Teaching Practice Week 2
Monday, August 31, 2020
Friday, September 04, 2020
Teaching Practice Week 3
Monday, September 07, 2020
Friday, September 11, 2020
Teaching Practice Week 4
Monday, September 14, 2020
Friday, September 18, 2020
Teaching Practice Week 5
Monday, September 21, 2020
Friday, September 25, 2020
Teaching Practice Week 6
Monday, September 28, 2020
Friday, October 02, 2020
Monday, October 05, 2020
Friday, November 20, 2020
Monday, January 18, 2021
Friday, March 05, 2021
- All lectures will be in English. Course work will need to be presented in English both orally and in writing. It will be necessary for students to take comprehensive lecture notes and write original essays and prepare assignments based on course information. Students will also be required to explain theoretical principles during the Oral examination.
- The students' eligibility for appearing for the Examination will depend on the following:
90% attendance for each aspect of the coursePunctual completion and submission of all assignments called for in the course of the yearFull payment of the feesCompletion of required hours of School Teaching PracticeCompletion of required hours of School ObservationsCompletion of required hours of Supervised PracticeThere will be three written examinations. Paper A will be on psychology and theory. Paper B1 and Paper B2 will be on the practical aspects with the underpinning principles. There will also be an oral examination in which students will be asked to present the use of the material and explain the underlying theory.An external examiner will be appointed by AMI to conduct the examinations. The diploma is awarded by the Association Montessori Internationale after a successful written and oral examination and completion of all requirements for certification. The decision of the board of examiners will be final and binding. No appeals will be entertained after results are released.Registered students who for valid reasons fail to appear for the examinations on the scheduled dates at the appointed time may be given the opportunity to appear at the examinations held the following year thereafter. They will have to apply for this opportunity in writing with a full and acceptable explanation. In case of medical grounds, a registered practitioner must attest the medical certificate. They will be charged the Examination Fee for the re-examination. Students appearing for re-examination in any of the four parts can do so ONLY the following year. They will be required to attend additional classes for which they will be charged a fee. They will also be charged the Examination Fee for the re-examination. Students who fail in the examination or re-examination and still wish to attain an AMI diploma will have to undergo another full course of training for which they will be charged the full Course fees including Examination Fee.
- The AMI diploma is awarded by the Association Montessori Internationale. It qualifies the holder to work with children in a Montessori environment between 6 and 12 years of age. The AMI Elementary diploma is a highly valued qualification. It is a great asset to those who wish to open their own schools.
- Indian Nationals may pay the fees by means of a crossed local cheque or Demand Draft in favour of Navadisha Montessori Foundation payable in Chennai. Foreign Nationals must pay the fees by Bank Draft/Cashier's Cheque in US Dollars (Pound Sterling or Euros equivalent to US Dollars) in favour of Navadisha Montessori Foundation payable in Chennai. We regret we do not accept payments by Direct Bank Transfer.
The fee is non-refundable. Once paid it cannot be refunded for any reason either prior to the commencement of or during the course on withdrawal of a student. Students will be required to submit a Refund Policy Acceptance letter at the time of payment of fee.
The last date for Application for Foreign Nationals is Friday, June 28, 2019. No applications from Foreign Nationals will be accepted after this date.Fee structure for applications reaching us on or before Friday, June 28, 2019.
Foundation Course 0.00 0.00 NA Tuition Fee 93000.00 4600.00 Before course commences Examination Fee 20600.00 500.00 Before course commences Special Fee 9816.00 356.00 Before course commences GST 22215.00 982.00 Before course commences Total 145631.00 6438.00 Before course commences
Fee structure for applications (Indian Nationals) reaching us after Friday, June 28, 2019.
Foundation Course 0.00 0.00 NA Tuition Fee 103000.00 0.00 Before course commences Examination Fee 20600.00 0.00 Before course commences Special Fee 10416.00 0.00 Before course commences Service Tax 24123.00 0.00 Before course commences Total 158139.00 0.00 Before course commences
- AMI Trainer: Rukmini RamachandranRukmini Ramachandran, leads the training team at the Navadisha Montessori Foundation. Rukmini holds an AMI Montessori Elementary diploma at the 6-12 age level. She entered the field of Montessori education in 1991 when she received her AMI Primary Diploma at the 3-6 age level in Mumbai. She has a Masters in English. She came into Montessori education with a background in journalism, having started her career as Assistant Editor of a children's monthly. She edited the 1939 Montessori lectures in Chennai into a book titled Creative Development in the Child in two volumes. Her most particular interest lies in publishing for children. She currently serves on the Training Group at AMI, and also as the Managing Trustee of the Indian Montessori Foundation.AMI Elementary Consultant: Ann DunneAnn Dunne, an AMI Trainer and educational consultant for the 6 - 12 age level is Director of Training in Dublin, Ireland and London, England. She travels extensively as an AMI Examiner and consultant around the world. She brings a wide range of experience to her work, mentoring and supporting training staff, students and schools. She had over 8 years teaching experience at the 6-12 level before joining the training team in Ireland. She worked closely with senior Montessori professionals in Ireland training many students. Ann brings her lively enthusiasm to her work in India where she has visited often as an examiner, consultant and speaker. She is currently a member of the Scientific Pedagogical Committee and the Training Group at AMI.
- Books and Stationery Budget
- It is advisable for students to acquire the Montessori books in the Required Reading list. The students will also have to acquire stationery for the course, for course submissions and the creation of Albums. Students using computers must budget additionally for printing cost, particularly colour printing. The cost will vary depending on the choices made. We would like to emphasise that this a budget and that it is only an approximate guide. The training course neither recommends nor endorses particular stationery products. Students are advised to budget for books and materials for the duration of the course as follows.
Montessori Books 6000.00 Before the course commences Stationery 5000.00 For the duration of the course Photocopying 3000.00 For the duration of the course Printing 3000.00 For the duration of the course
- To prepare for the Diploma course and for working in a Montessori environment it is good practice to read around the subject. The following list of books is provided to help you begin this process. Some of these books will be made available in the student library. .
- Montessori, Maria The Absorbent Mind Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Child in the Family Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Discovery of the Child Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company
- Montessori, Maria The Secret of Childhood Orient Black Swan, Chennai
- Montessori, Maria Education for a New World Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria What should you know about your child Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Formation of Man Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria Education and Peace Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Advanced Montessori Method Vols. 1 & 2 Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company
- Montessori, Maria From Childhood to Adolescence Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria To Educate the Human Potential Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Child, Society and the World Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company
- Montessori, Mario Jr., Education for Human Development: Understanding Montessori Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company
Books published by Indian Montessori Foundation (IMF) will be available for sale at
Mobile: +91 9841689808