3-6 Diploma Course
The 3-6 Diploma Course is an intensive full time programme designed to help students study closely the theory and practice of the Montessori approach to education. The course of study spread over 9 months will help prepare students for working with children from 3 to 6 years of age. Dr. Montessori developed her core philosophy with this age group and the course deals with seminal ideas of her pedagogy.
- Course Components
- Theory Lectures
The theory lectures will offer the students the opportunity to examine the development of the whole child, and the successive phases of child development. Special consideration is given to the formative psychic powers of the child that leads to all-round development. The carefully prepared environment and materials and the role and attitude of the adult will also be studied.
The practical demonstration lectures deal with the function and presentation of the materials offered to children from 3 to 6 years of age in a Montessori environment. The aims of the materials, the technique of presenting them to the child and the age at which they must be offered will be discussed in these sessions.
During scheduled hours students will have an opportunity to practice with the materials. Students will be supervised and guided in the use of the materials and encouraged to develop and practice the techniques by which they will present the various materials to children.
Care of the Environment
Students will also be asked to take responsibility for the environment everyday just as they would when they are with children. This is an essential aspect of the training that develops the students' eye for the care and maintenance of the material and helps them to develop a familiarity with the set up of a Montessori environment.
School Observation and Teaching Practice
Students will be assigned to go to various Montessori environments in the city for observation and teaching practice. During this time they will be shown how to keep a record of observations and as well as have an opportunity to work directly with children under the supervision of an AMI trained adult. Students will need to budget for their commute to the various city schools.
Assignments and Albums
Students will need to submit typed work at regular intervals during the course, which will include theory essays, material making assignments and observation reports. Students will also prepare four typed albums in the different areas - Practical Life, Sensorial, Language and Mathematics. Students will need to do four to six hours of organised work at home every day in order to complete all assignments.
Email and Internet Access
Students will need access to Email and internet as information will be sent to them regularly by email. Some assignments will need to be submitted electronically. Students will be asked to regularly print out their work.
All lectures will be in English. Course work will need to be presented in English both orally and in writing. It will be necessary for students to take comprehensive lecture notes and write original essays and prepare assignments based on course information. Students will also be required to explain theoretical principles during the Oral examination.
Students must have 90% attendance for each aspect of the course including time taken off due to illness. Attendance records will be meticulously maintained throughout the year. In case of absence, students should notify the Director of Training in writing, at least one day in advance. In case of illness the student should inform the training centre by phone or email immediately.
- Candidates fulfilling the following requirements will be considered eligible for admission into the course. The candidate should have:
- Completed 20 years
- A Bachelors degree
- A sound knowledge of English
- Excellent computer skills and email access
- Admission Procedure
- Admissions are on a first come first served basis. The last date for Application for Foreign Nationals is Wednesday, June 17, 2020. Indian Nationals who submit their application on or after Wednesday, June 17, 2020 will be required to pay a revised and higher fee.The Admissions Review Committee will process all complete applications. The decision of the committee will be final and binding.
- On signing into the portal a user ID and password will be created and a verification request sent by email. Once verified the application form must be filled in online. The application process must be completed within one month. As part of the online application procedure the following will need to be uploaded.
- Recent photo
- Copies of all educational documents
- Letters of reference from current or previous employers
Application Fee 1517.00 69.00 With application
- Candidates can track their application status by logging in to the portal. Based on the application, there will be an interview with a member of faculty. For foreign nationals who are not able to attend an interview in Chennai we can arrange a time when the applicant can call us for a telephone interview. Candidates may be required to take an English check.
- Admission Confirmation
- Candidates can track their application status by logging into the portal. After the interview the selected candidates will be notified of their acceptance and will be given the last date for the payment of fees. Once the fees are paid the candidate will be notified. Candidates can log in to check the first day’s schedule.
- Students must have 90% attendance for each aspect of the course including time taken off due to illness. Attendance records will be meticulously maintained throughout the year. In case of absence, students should notify the Director of Training in writing, at least one day in advance. In case of illness the student should inform the training centre by phone or email immediately.
- Course Schedule and Timing
- The course is full time and will run 5 days a week from 8:45 AM to 3:15 PM Monday to Friday. Students will be asked to be extremely punctual. The course will be from Wednesday, August 19, 2020 to Friday, April 16, 2021.
- The students' eligibility for appearing for the Examination will depend on the following: There will be two written examinations. Paper A will be on psychology and theory. Paper B will be on the practical aspects with the underpinning principles. There will also be an oral examination in which students will be asked to present the use of the material and explain the underlying theory.
An external examiner will be appointed by AMI to conduct the examinations. The diploma is awarded by the Association Montessori Internationale after a successful written and oral examination and completion of all requirements for certification. The decision of the board of examiners will be final and binding. No appeals will be entertained after results are released.Registered students who for valid reasons fail to appear for the examinations on the scheduled dates at the appointed time may be given the opportunity to appear at the examinations held the following year thereafter. They will have to apply for this opportunity in writing with a full and acceptable explanation. In case of medical grounds, a registered practitioner must attest the medical certificate. They will be charged the Examination Fee for the re-examination. Students appearing for re-examination in any of the four parts can do so ONLY the following year. They will be required to attend additional classes for which they will be charged a fee. They will also be charged the Examination Fee for the re-examination. Students who fail in the examination or re-examination and still wish to attain an AMI diploma will have to undergo another full course of training for which they will be charged the full Course fees including Examination Fee.
- 90% attendance for each aspect of the course
- Punctual completion and submission of all assignments called for in the course of the year
- Full payment of the fees
- Completion of required hours of School Teaching Practice
- Completion of required hours of School Observations
- Completion of required hours of Supervised Practice
- The AMI diploma is awarded by the Association Montessori Internationale. It qualifies the holder to work with children in a Montessori environment between 3 and 6 years of age. The AMI Primary diploma is a highly valued qualification. It is a great asset to those who wish to open their own schools.
- The course fee may be paid by bank transfer. The bank details will become available to you after you have been accepted.Refund PolicyThe fee is non-refundable. Once paid it cannot be refunded for any reason either prior to the commencement of or during the course on withdrawal of a student. Students will be required to submit a Refund Policy Acceptance letter at the time of payment of fee.
The last date for Application for Foreign Nationals is Wednesday, June 17, 2020. No applications from Foreign Nationals will be accepted after this date.Fee structure for applications submitted on or before Friday, August 7, 2020.
Tuition 79380.00 4284.00 Before course commences Examination 14300.00 525.00 Before course commences Special Fee 8621.00 339.00 Before course commences *GST 18414.00 927.00 Before course commences Total 120715.00 6074.00 Before course commences
Fee structure for applications (Indian Nationals) submitted after Friday, August 7, 2020
Tuition 87098.00 0.00 Before course commences Examination 14333.00 0.00 Before course commences Special Fee 9086.00 0.00 Before course commences *GST 19893.00 0.00 Before course commences Total 130410.00 0.00 Before course commences
- Director of Training: Rukmini RamachandranRukmini Ramachandran, leads the training team at the Navadisha Montessori Foundation. Rukmini holds an AMI Montessori diploma at all the three age levels, 3-6, 6-12 and 0-3 years. She entered the field of Montessori education in 1991 when she trained under Zarin Malva in Mumbai. She has a Masters in English. She came into Montessori education with a background in journalism, having started her career as Assistant Editor of a children's monthly. She edited the 1939 Montessori lectures in Chennai into a book titled Creative Development in the Child in two volumes. Her most particular interest lies in publishing for children. She currently serves as the Managing Trustee of the Indian Montessori Foundation.AMI Trainer: Hemalatha RangarajanHemalatha Rangarajan, an AMI trainer, is a key member of the training team. She holds an AMI Montessori diploma at two age levels. She trained at the 3-6 level under Zarin Malva in Chennai in 1995 and then trained under Ann Dunne to receive her 6-12 diploma in 2017. She worked with children for ten years in Patasala Montessori School, where she eventually served as Vice Principal. Hemalatha holds a Masters in Psychology. She is interested in helping teachers and has been involved in mentoring schools. She is committed to widening the scope of Montessori education through research.AMI Trainer: Ramya SridharRamya Sridhar is an AMI trainer at Navadisha. An alumna of the first course of our institute Ramya now holds an AMI diploma for two age levels. She received the AMI 3-6 diploma in 2005 and the AMI 6-12 diploma in 2017. She has assisted on the courses at Navadisha since 2012. She has served as an examiner and presented talks and workshops. Ramya entered Montessori work as a teacher at Navadisha Montessori School where she began her work in this field. She holds a Masters in Psychology. She takes an interest in the work of several NGOS that serve a range of socio-economic, health and educational schemes. She is also interested in reaching Montessori principles to a wider public.AMI Consultant: Ruby LauRuby Lau is an AMI Trainer and educational consultant. Educated from an early age in the UK, Ruby has a degree in Psychology and worked in advertising before taking the AMI 3 - 6 Diploma in London. After gaining her diploma in London in 1985, she worked both in the MMTO school and the training course. She opened her own school in 1990 which she ran for 15 years whilst continuing to work on the training courses. Ruby now holds AMI diplomas at the 0-3, 3-6 and 6-12 age levels. She brings her multi-layered experience to mentor and support training staff and students of AMI training institutes and teachers and schools in many parts of South Asia. Ruby serves as a member of the Scientific Pedagogy Group at AMI.
- Books and Stationery Budget
- It is advisable for students to acquire the Montessori books in the Required Reading list. The students will also have to acquire stationery for the course, for course submissions and the creation of Albums. Students using computers must budget additionally for printing cost, particularly colour printing. The cost will vary depending on the choices made. We would like to emphasise that this a budget and that it is only an approximate guide. The training course neither recommends nor endorses particular stationery products. Students are advised to budget for books and materials for the duration of the course as follows.
Montessori Books 3000.00 Before the Course commences Stationery 3000.00 Before the Course commences Materials 3000.00 Before the Course commences Printing 3000.00 Before the Course commences
- To prepare for the Diploma course and for working in a Montessori environment it is good practice to read around the subject. The following list of books is provided to help you begin this process. Some of these books will be made available in the student library.
- Montessori, Maria The Absorbent Mind Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Age of Miracles Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Discovery of the Child Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company
- Montessori, Maria The Formation of Man Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria Education for a New World Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Child in the Family Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria Education and Peace Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria From Childhood to Adolescence Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Secret of Childhood Orient Black Swan, Chennai
- Montessori, Maria To Educate the Human Potential Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria What you should know about your Child Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Mario Jr., Education for Human Development Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company
- A M Joosten, Foundations of Montessori Pedagogy Indian Montessori Foundation
Books published by Indian Montessori Foundation (IMF) will be available for sale at
Mobile: +91 9841689808