AMI Montessori Assistants Certificate Course (3-6 age level)
The AMI Assistants Certificate Course (3-6 Age Level) is an intensive full time programme designed to help interested adults to understand the development of children. The course will be delivered over 10 days. It opens the way for adults to assist this process both at home and in school. The programme introduces the philosophy underpinning Montessori practice and some basic practical skills useful in interacting with children. The course would be of interest to teachers working in Montessori schools, to parents and expecting parents, and childcare professionals from other fields. It would also be preparatory work for those considering the AMI 3-6 Diploma Course. Course work will consist of lectures, readings and discussion.
- Course Components
- Theory Lectures
The theory lectures will offer the students the opportunity to examine the development of the whole child and the successive phases of child development. Special consideration is given to language, movement and independence leading to all-round development. The carefully prepared environment and the role and attitude of the adult will also be studied.
Students will need to find a baby under the age of 2 years for 8 hours of observation during the course. During this time they will be required to record and submit a report their observations.
Students will need to submit written work at regular intervals during the course, which will include theory essays, material making assignments and observation reports. All assignments must be completed in order to receive the certificate.
Email and Internet Access
Students will need access to Email and internet as information will be sent to them regularly by email. Some assignments will need to be submitted electronically.
All lectures will be in English. Course work will need to be presented in English.
The AMI Assistants Certificate is awarded to those who complete all the requirements. In order to receive the AMI Assistants Certificate, the applicant should:
- Submit all the assignments
- Complete the required hours of observation and submit an Observation report
- Have 90% attendance
Students must have 90% attendance in order to receive the certificate. Students with attendance below 90% will not be eligible for an AMI certificate.
- We welcome candidates from all walks of life and different professions. This course is open to anyone wishing to know more about the Montessori philosophy.
- Admission Procedure
- Admissions are on a first come first served basis.
Applications must be submitted with all enclosures. The Admissions Review Committee will process all complete applications. The decision of the committee will be final and binding.
To be considered for admission you need to submit the following:
- Application Form duly filled in and signed by the applicant
- Refund Policy Acceptance letter
Selected candidates will receive a letter of confirmation and the receipt by email and courier along with a schedule for the first day.
- Course Schedule and Timing
- The course will commence on Monday, June 18, 2018 and end on Friday, June 29, 2018. A schedule will be provided to the students at the start of the course. The course timings will be from 8:45 AM to 3:15 PM every day. Students will be asked to be extremely punctual. Latecomers will be marked absent for half the session.
- All lectures will be in English. Course work will need to be presented in English.
- Indian Nationals may pay the fees by means of a crossed local cheque or Demand Draft in favour of Navadisha Montessori Foundation payable in Chennai. Foreign Nationals must pay the fees by Bank Draft/Cashier's Cheque in US Dollars (Pound Sterling or Euros equivalent to US Dollars) in favour of Navadisha Montessori Foundation payable in Chennai. We regret we do not accept payments by Direct Bank Transfer. Refund PolicyThe fee is non-refundable. Once paid it cannot be refunded for any reason either prior to the commencement of or during the course on withdrawal of a student. Students will be required to submit a Refund Policy Acceptance letter at the time of payment of fee.
Tuition Fees 15000.00 400.00 Before course commences Special Fees 900.00 24.00 Before course commences GST 2862.00 76.00 Before course commences Total 18762.00 500.00 Before course commences
- AMI Trainer: Hemalatha Rangarajan
Hemalatha Rangarajan, an AMI trainer, is currently a member of the training team. She has served as a National Examiner during examinations in India and abroad and is deeply involved in mentoring schools. While she was on the AMI Training of Trainers Programme, she participated in five international seminars in Washington DC and Amsterdam. She worked with children for ten years in Patasala Montessori School, where she eventually served as Vice Principal. Hemalatha began her Montessori career on completing the AMI 3-6 Diploma course in 1995. Her long experience has helped her towards her deep faith in the children. She holds a Masters in Psychology, and is interested in widening the scope of Montessori education through research.
Trainer in Training: Ramya Sridhar
Ramya Sridhar, is currently on the AMI Training of Trainers Programme and is a member of the training team. She worked as a teacher in Navadisha Montessori School on completing the AMI 3-6 Diploma course in 2005. As part of her responsibility in school she assisted with admissions, record keeping and helped organise orientation programmes. Ramya has been a part of the training team during several AMI Assistants courses. She is currently participating in the AMI Asian seminars as part of the Training of Trainers programme in Hyderabad. She has served as a National Examiner during examinations. Ramya holds a Masters in Psychology.
- Books and Stationery Budget
- It is advisable for students to acquire the Montessori books in the Required Reading list. The students will also have to acquire stationery for the course, for course submissions. Students using computers must budget additionally for printing cost. The cost will vary depending on the choices made. We would like to emphasise that this a budget and that it is only an approximate guide. The training course neither recommends nor endorses particular stationery products. Students are advised to budget for books and materials for the duration of the course as follows.
Montessori Books 800.00 Before the course commences Stationery 500.00 For the duration of the course Material 200.00 For the duration of the course Printing 500.00 For the duration of the course
- To prepare for the course and for working in a Montessori environment it is good practice to read around the subject. The following list of books is provided to help you begin this process. Some of these books will be made available in the student library.
- Montessori, Maria Education for New World Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Child in the Family Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Absorbent Mind Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria The Secret of Childhood Orient Black Swan
- Montessori, Maria From Childhood to Adolescence Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria What You Should Know About Your Child Indian Montessori Foundation
- Montessori, Maria Education and Peace Montessori-Pierson Publishing Company